Cause & Consequence
- Uncontrolled release of a flammable gas or liquid
Specific Incident Equipment
- The issue of possible transfer of fluids to the HP Flare header had been considered prior to the venting task taking place and was considered to be a low risk.
- The importance of ensuring that the auto drain is fully functioning or any manual operation is tightly controlled to ensure no fluids are in the system.
- At re-start or during any venting it is important to check and establish whether it was gas or other fluids which are being bled
- Auto drain was unblocked, cleaned, inspected and reinstated for use.
- A PMR was raised to ensure that the correct maintenance regime is in place to ensure the continued correct operation of the auto drain.
- Operating procedures now require a visual check to ensure that the drains are free from fluids at various stages during venting operations (i.e. pre, during and post venting)
Rate this alert
Latest Alerts & Moments
Our searchable catalogue of hundreds of Safety Alerts and Safety Moments are all designed as learning resources that can help improve workplace safety.