Cause & Consequence
- Handling, lifting or carrying
Any Location Type
Lifting, crane, rigging, deck operations
Review mechanical handling aids suitability & fitness for purpose – especially trolleys of a similar design
Ensure issues are reported, not accepted just because “that is what is available”.
Undertake routine audits on manual handling operations and equipment
Ensure management of change process is carried out – especially revisit risk assessments when the task changes
Walk the route prior to transportation and evaluate any situational restrictions/constraints
- Review current mechanical handling aids around the platform formanoeuvrability and use through the use of PUWER assessmentthereby ensuring suitability and fitness for purpose
- The reporting of difficult work conditions or equipment must be encouraged within existing systems. i.e. STOP ,PSI .
- Communication of lesson learnt from this incident occur via the use of STEP CHANGE safety alert database
- Ensure that Incident lessons learnt and specifically restrictions in the use of the barrows are communicated to supervisors and work teams through toolbox talks/TOFS and safety meetings
- Review and consider increasing focus on audits of manual handling operations by line supervisors by adding into weekly audit schedule
- Communicate the importance of the Management of Change and the need to revisit risk assessments even where minor changes occur
Rate this alert
Latest Alerts & Moments
Our searchable catalogue of hundreds of Safety Alerts and Safety Moments are all designed as learning resources that can help improve workplace safety.