Cause & Consequence
- Moving, flying or falling object
- Handling, lifting or carrying
Description of Process
Erection of scaffolding.
Description of Incident
A scaffolding team were preparing to erect a small platform on the top of the pipe deck gantry crane and had carried a bag of fittings up to the uppermost platform of the crane. As the scaffolder laid the bag of fittings on the top platform next to the handrail, a fitting (weight 832g) fell from the bag and over the kickboard of the platform they were standing on, it carried on over the pipe deck handrail onto the roof of a unit part of a Thermomechanical Cuttings Cleaner below (estimated 25m fall, with 208.4 joules of energy).
- Non-compliance with procedures with respect to Area Tech site visits
- Drop hazard identified but not considered for site preparation activities
- Gantry crane not parked/isolated in the safest or most convenient location
- Scaffolding fitting bags are open topped, not cover to prevent drops
- The pipe deck gantry crane does not have infill panels on the handrails
Good Practice Guidance
- Always follow procedures
- Assessment of mobile and moving equipment with respect to drops prevention when in different locations
- Review scaffolding fittings bag design for improvement opportunities
- Carry out a dynamic risk assessment prior to starting any job
Rate this alert
Latest Alerts & Moments
Our searchable catalogue of hundreds of Safety Alerts and Safety Moments are all designed as learning resources that can help improve workplace safety.