Cause & Consequence
- Uncontrolled release of a flammable gas or liquid
Specific Incident Equipment
Gas lift choke valve
- The maintenance history on the system for this valve was found to be lacking detail.
- Packing follower was found to be insufficiently tensioned which in turn allowed the valve packing to pass.
- The valve was poor condition externally due to corrosion. Valve internal components were however in very good condition.
- Valve to be refurbished in preparation for return to service
- Develop a suitable maintenance routine for all gas lift and oil choke packing / gland followers, including work orders to implement.