Cause & Consequence
- Not Assigned
Catering / hotel services
Incident Info Source
International Association of Drilling Contractors
Specific Incident Equipment
Valve Seat, Sledgehammer and Sledgehammer face
- Employees were not aware of the information in the company police "Use of Hammers", which prohibits striking one hammer face with another.
- Employees failed to recognize the hazard and commenced the task. Supervisors failed to stop the job and seek alternative means.
- Review with all crews, the company policy on Use of Hammers.
- Review with all crews, a fatality report from a previous incident - "Employee Struck by Hammer Fragment".
- Conduct a "Hazard Hunt" with emphasis on the condition of hammer heads to ensure they are fit for use, not mushroomed and that hammer handles are in good condition.
- Review and amend all JSA's associated with the use of sledgehammers to capture the company policy, and " Lessons Learned" document on a hammer incident.