Cause & Consequence
Specific Incident Equipment
- The driller forgot to retract the top drive prior to making the connection.
- Lack of experience, the driller had only been drilling a week prior to this incident.
- Complacency, routine jobs require the same amount of attention as special operations.
- Instructed company drillers to always pay attention to the steps of the procedure for every task, no matter how routine or minor it may seem.
- Reminded rig supervisors that experience is a valuable asset.The driller will continue to get more experience and he will gain confidence with every connection.
- Instructed drillers and other rig personnel not to let over-confidence make the situation complacent.Routine jobs no matter how minor shall always require 100% attention.