Cause & Consequence
- Uncontrolled release of a flammable gas or liquid
Specific Incident Equipment
LP degasser overboard dump vent line
- LP degasser vessel had been taken out of service and in 2009 the inlet to the vessel was isolated but never fully valve or positively isolated.
- In 2009 the decision was made to permanently not use the LP degasser - the required decommissioning process was however not instigated.
- There is no recorded historical evidence of maintenance of the associated lute seal on the vent line.
- Apply positive isolation scheme to the degasser
- Ensure lute seal on the liquid outlet is maintained
- Communicate to all sites to instigate cross check that operationally critical equipment being rendered redundant has been decommissioned according to current policy.
Rate this alert
Latest Alerts & Moments
Our searchable catalogue of hundreds of Safety Alerts and Safety Moments are all designed as learning resources that can help improve workplace safety.