Cause & Consequence
- Moving, flying or falling object
Any Location Type
Incident Info Source
Step change in safety
Specific Incident Equipment
Pipe handling lower travel assembly and potential crush points associated with the process
- There were unidentified 'crush points' between the lower travel assembly and the vertical support stanchions.
- The pipe handler operator failed to establish effective communications with the 'spotter'.
- There was a failure in establishing a Stop Work authority when personnel were out of line of sight.
- The operation being carried out was not in accordance with the current company lifting procedures.
- Provide a formal training programme to include all hazards associated with the operation of the pipe handler.
- Provide suitable and sufficient onsite supervision during pipe handler operations.
- Inspect trolley crane operations in an effort to effectively risk assess the operation, and communicate the findings with all personnel who may be involved in the activity.
- Review the 'Stop Work' authority in all activities.
- Install and maintain physical safety barriers to prevent personnel accessing the trolley cranes traversing path.