Cause & Consequence
- Moving machinery or material being machined
Any Location Type
Lifting, crane, rigging, deck operations
- Failure to perceive risk – neither of the team recognised the potential for accidental contact with the winch or the need to stop and consider the hazards prior to starting.
- Normalisation of risk – Operation of winches was considered a low risk, routine task.
- Ineffective planning – basic safe working practices (communication & positioning) were not discussed prior to the task.
- Inadequate guard design – the guarding arrangement did not provide protection against moving parts.
- Inadequate control of 3rd parties – regarding familiarisation & supervision.
- Think about how to control the risk at the planning stage and discuss this at onsite Tool Box Talks. Discuss physical barriers on the plant.
- As well as scanning our work environment for hazards, ask others to do the same. There is no shame in pointing out what you think is obvious.
- Consider how 3rd parties are controlled and supervised on your site. Raise any concerns to the responsible person.