Cause & Consequence
- Moving, flying or falling object
Any Location Type
Lifting, crane, rigging, deck operations
Incident Info Source
Britannia Operator Ltd &
Specific Incident Equipment
20 ton capacity airhoist fitted with open topped storage container.
- Adherence to the controls determined for the task ensured that no one was working within the barriered off area at the time of the incident.
- The possibility of this event occurring was discussed between the team involved hence the extent to which the barriers were erected. The team however did not formalise their discussions by including the new information on their TRA/TRIC.
- The team had the opportunity to negate the hazard by removing the chain from the container before work commenced but felt the situation could be managed by regular checks on the chain container.
1) If similar equipment is used assess the equipment for suitability with regards to the storage container versus the heights that the equipment is expected to be used for.2) Where doubt exists remove the storage container from the hoist.