Since its inception in 1997, Step Change in Safety has cemented its position as an integral part of the safety narrative in the oil and gas industry, drawing upon a broad spread of skills, experience and professional knowledge organic to the industry.
Our organisation recognises the unique role of the Offshore Installation Managers have in ensuring positive safety culture, major accident prevention, legislative compliance and business success. Despite our collective wealth of experience, knowledge and influence, the OIM community has not, to date, been specifically engaged in Step Change in Safety’s work at either foundational or strategic levels.
2020 sees the establishment of the Step Change in Safety OIM Network consisting of three co-Chairs and twelve OIMs drawn from across our industry.
The network will seek to:
- Support and influence the Step Change in Safety agenda; providing strategic input and ensuring Step Change in Safety focus is on what matters at the frontline
- Provide a cross industry network for OIMs to share and learn
- Provide a “safe space” for mutual support (wellbeing)
- Support Elected Safety Reps and assist them in engaging with their communities
- Provide support to existing workgroups, providing leadership support and, or, SME knowledge where appropriate
- Providing critical and constructive review of Step Change in Safety workgroup outputs
- Build knowledge of existing Step Change in Safety products and offerings to support wider embedding in the industry
- Championing and encouraging safety leadership
The network aims to meet twice annually in Aberdeen to shape and assure its contribution to the Step Change in Safety agenda. Additional support to existing Step Change in Safety workgroups will be variable. Those joining the network will be subject to a 2-3year tenure period in order to facilitate ongoing development and equal opportunities for all.
As the senior person at the frontline of offshore operations, you have a unique responsibility under law, alongside our moral obligations, to ensure our industry is as safe as we can possibly make it. Should you wish to express your interest in joining the network, and are comfortable with meeting the commitments discussed above, we invite your expression of interest including an overview of any specific areas of Step Change in Safety’s agenda in which you have interest or expertise.
Expressions of interest, or enquiries, should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Expressions will close on 21st February 2020 and further communication issued thereafter.