Step Change in Safety is committed to raising and promoting awareness of mental health among the onshore and offshore workforce.
“Practical mental health skills and awareness training is a key component for creating a safe, healthy workplace where the mental health and physical health of employees are valued equally. It gives people the tools to support their own mental health and that of their colleagues, and encourages them to access timely support when needed.” Simon Blake OBE Chief Executive, Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) England
As part of its ongoing workforce engagement programme, Step Change in Safety intends to offer members the opportunity to attend one of a series of 10 Mental Health Champion Courses to be run throughout the UK during 2020.
The Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) One Day course from MHFA England gives people the awareness and skills to be a MHFA Champion. MHFA Champions have the knowledge to advocate for mental health and ability to recognise if someone may need support with their mental health.
The One Day mental health awareness and skills course qualifies people as an MHFA Champion and is particularly useful for decision makers and line managers. It gives them:
- An understanding of what mental health is and how to challenge stigma
- An understanding of common mental health issues
- Knowledge and confidence to advocate for mental health awareness
- Ability to spot signs of mental ill health
- Confidence to offer support to someone in distress or who may be experiencing a mental health issue
- An introduction to looking after their own mental health and maintaining wellbeing
- Skills to support positive wellbeing.
The full day, face to face course, facilitates learning through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities.
Courses are limited to 16 participants so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Courses will be facilitated by Annette Thomas and will be opened by Steve Rae, Executive Director of Step Change in Safety.
The first two courses of 2020 are available to book online.
Thursday 27th February 2020 - to
Tuesday, 12th May 2020 - to
Step Change in Safety, 2nd Floor, Exchange 2, 62 Market Street, Aberdeen