Organisers of a revamped awards ceremony celebrating the men, woman and companies doing their utmost for safety in the UK oil and gas industry have extended the deadline for nominations.
Those nominating in the six categories of the Offshore Safety Awards – organised by Oil & Gas UK and Step Change in Safety with Maersk Oil as principal sponsor - have until noon on Monday 2 May to get their entries in for the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre event on May 31.
Les Linklater, executive director of Step Change in Safety, said: “We are very excited about our new look Offshore Safety Awards. We have totally changed the format so that it is a real interactive, sharing and learning experience.”
Deirdre Michie, chief executive of Oil & Gas UK, added: “It is a great opportunity for personnel and companies to let their peers know what they are doing to make North Sea operations as safe as they can be. We hope to see as many nominations as possible for this event which we expect will prove really popular as well as being an accessible and efficient way of spreading safety knowledge.”
The categories in the Offshore Safety Awards are:
• Safety Leadership – for an inspirational leader who motivates and engages their team to work safely.
• Safety Representative of the Year – for an enthusiastic and committed safety rep that is driving the safety agenda at their worksite.
• Innovation in Safety – for a company which has put in place a clever process or technique to improve safety either across an organisation or at an individual worksite.
• Workforce Engagement – for an individual or team which has actively embraced engagement with its workers on safety matters, showing how a commitment to worker involvement in safety has contributed to an improvement in safety performance.
• Occupational Health – for an individual/team or company which has taken steps to implement health policies/practices of proven effectiveness to improve the health of its workforce. This could be by implementing an existing policy particularly effectively, or by introducing new practices.
• Sharing and Learning – for an individual/team or company that can demonstrate a learning and sharing culture either within their organisation, or who has made a significant contribution to health and safety through active participation in, or engagement with Oil & Gas UK or Step Change in Safety.
For more information and to download a nomination form visit the Offshore Safety Awards website.
Notes to Editors: