The search is underway today for the men, women and companies doing their utmost to ensure the activities of Britain’s offshore oil and gas industry are as safe as possible.
Nominations have opened for the fifth UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Awards jointly organised by Oil & Gas UK and Step Change in Safety with Maersk Oil as principal sponsor.
This year’s event – taking place on April 29 at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre – promises to be even bigger than before with six categories honouring outstanding safety conscious workers and companies.
The award categories are:
• Safety Leadership - for an inspirational and motivational team leader
• Safety Representative - for an enthusiastic and committed safety rep
• Innovation in Safety - for a company which has put in place a safety-boosting process
• Workforce Engagement - for a person/ team actively embracing worker safety engagement
• Occupational Health and Hygiene - for a person/ team / company behind steps that have improved workforce health
• Sharing and Learning - for a person/ team/ company responsible for a workplace learning and sharing culture, or has contributed to health and safety by working with Oil & Gas UK or Step Change in Safety
Robert Paterson, director of health, safety and employment issues at Oil & Gas UK, said: “There is a lot going on in industry to ensure the safe production of hydrocarbons remains a core value for everyone. The Awards are a fantastic way of recognising individual and company commitment to safety whether it be via innovative new processes or exceptional individual enthusiasm and dedication.”
Les Linklater, executive director, Step Change in Safety, added: “The awards are an important date in the industry’s calendar and are an excellent opportunity to celebrate some of the admirable safety efforts that are improving the safety of the UKCS. I look forward to seeing how different people and organisations are playing their part to make the UKCS the safest oil province in the world to work in.”