As a result of a general platform alarm (GPA) and deluge, a piece of inspection equipment was exposed to significant amounts of water, causing the internals to become saturated and short circuit.
Following the event, the lithium ion battery was removed and found to be overheating. Shortly thereafter the battery started to smoke then catch fire. Fortunately, the fire was controlled and extinguished immediately however the outcome could have been much worse.
The importance of protecting equipment from water ingress is highlighted, along with the importance of ensuring that care is taken whenever equipment is being dried out following exposure to water.