Description of Process
Non work related
Description of Incident
- Prior to site mobilisation, a worker disclosed they had a nut allergy.
- At site, a food item containing nuts was prepared and frozen. The food was stored in the freezer without any allergen labelling.
- The Galley team from the next shift plated this item for consumption – it was placed on the same dish as food which had been labelled as free from nuts.
- The worker had previously eaten this without issue and consumed the item, believing it was safe to eat.
- The IP had a severe allergic reaction and was immediately treated by the emergency response team, but as his symptoms did not improve, the IP was taken to a hospital onshore for further treatment.
Procedural requirements not met
- Item using a known allergen prepared by Galley team and placed in freezer without allergen indication
- Item was not disposed of when identified there was no allergen label
- The item was not captured in ‘Allergen in Menu’ sheet by Galley team
Training and Competency
- Staff inadequately trained regarding food safety such as labelling allergens and allergen cross-contamination
- IP disclosed nut allergy prior to mobilising
- The placement of food suggested it was nut free
- IP did not enquire about the allergen content with Galley team prior to consuming the item
Good Practice Guidance
- Ensure that food prepared considers workers dietary restrictions and allergies
- Ensure items are correctly labelled
- If an item is not labelled, treat as if contains allergens or dispose of the item
- Provide and maintain an Allergen in Menu