Cause & Consequence
- Collapse, overturn or failure of lifting equipment
Lifting, crane, rigging, deck operations
WHAT CAUSED IT:
- Spring loaded latch was easily dislodged due to the swing of the pennant.
- Change of direction of the crane resulted in the pennant doubling back on itself.
- The crane operator was new to the position and tried to correct the swinging of the pennant.
- His action resulted in the pennant doubling back against itself and slipping past the hook latch.
CORRECTIVE ACTIONS: To address this incident, this company did the following:
- Starboard and port crane hooks have been changed out for locking mechanism.
- A locking mechanism was fabricated and attached to the aft crane to prevent the pennant from becoming detached (moused).
- All crane operators have been instructed to ensure that the locking mechanism is in place prior to any lifts occurring.